Friday, February 24, 2012

Unsettled

I was recently accepted to YWAM Salem in Oregon as a missionary.  Just this week I got a train ticket and had a final date set for when I am leaving Sheboygan, WI.  I already feel the unsettled-ness awakening within me as I am preparing to leave yet another "home".

It’s hard to feel that unsettled-ness again.  I was enjoying so much having that security in not having anything laid out for a departure.  It's not easy not having a "home".

Thinking about the bigger picture, I know I will at some point be done with my time here on earth and I know that I will not be falling into darkness, but rather awakening into light, PRAISE GOD!  And I will be there forever.  I won’t have to feel unsettled anymore, for the rest of eternity.  But while I’m here and while Jesus hasn't returned yet, I need to be willing to give that up for him, because his kingdom is much more important.  It’s easy to get down or get distracted by all that stuff though. 

Talking about this is such an encouragement to me because it reminds me that it’s all going to be worth it in the end.  It get’s my focus off of the immediate things I want and onto the incredible, immeasurable gifts that Jesus has promised for those who do seek him out with all their heart,listen to his words, and do what he says within whatever part of the world they live.

I don’t ever want to forget how worth it giving up everything for God’s kingdom is, yet it’s one of the easiest things to forget.  Being a human, I oftentimes pray that he reminds me of that in his grace.

If God is putting on my heart to constantly be moving to places without a real home for the sake of his kingdom how sad would it be to compromise eternity in heaven to have an earthly home for 60 years?  If God is putting on my heart to not worry about my 401k how sad would it be to be so focused on it that I compromise God’s eternal 401k?

Seeking God with everything and doing what he says is worth it.  He has a different path for each of us, and the first step we must take is to let go of our own idea of what the path should look like – or what our culture says the path should look like – and to SEEK that God would humble us and help us to trust and walk in the path that he says it should look like no matter how weird, uncomfortable, or scary it is.

This short clip of Francis Chan encourages me.

No comments:

Post a Comment